Monday, February 18, 2008

Organize for Daily Writing

I liked Routman's ideas for nonfiction writing on page 196. I would like to be able to write lots more nonfiction pieces with my students. However, with a state assessment that focuses on assessing a narrative piece, I feel I have to put most of my efforts on fictional writing at least until February. This year I have had students write nonfictional, short pieces in science and social studies though; so that makes me feel somewhat better.

I would also like to know how others are organizing their writing time. I have about thirty to forty minutes a day for writing. Some of this time includes a mini lesson on the first day and sharing our work and discussing on the second day. As far as procedures go, mine are sharpen your pencils and begin. Often, I do turn on quite background music.

I also have a question about journaling. I haven't done a lot with journaling this year. How do I fit that into my time frame? It feels like most of my day is already scheduled for me: 1 hour for reading (a set time that can't be adjusted due to Title I) , 1 hour 20 mins. for math, 45 mins. for band, 45 minutes for lunch and recess, 35 for music and PE. Hummm, How much time do I have left to teach writing, science and social studies. Oh and I can't forget intergrating technology, the counselor on Wednesday, and teaching life skills-like being kind to others. Too much to do and not enough time! Maybe it's just that time of year, and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

5 comments:

janicegreen said...

I've been trying to have my student do more journaling. I'm actually using it as a free write. I don't give a lot of time only 10 minutes, but they enjoy this new found freedom and write the entire time.

K Styes said...

Whew! I agree. It's difficult to fit everything in our days. We've just started journaling in our classroom. We do it first thing in the AM while I'm taking attendance, etc. So far, it's worked o.kay, but I feel like once students put away their journals, all is forgotten and we don't think about journals until the next AM. Maybe it will get better with time and practice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I love the idea of "journals" and want them to work.

Mindy Wills said...

Tammy, I think many of us feel the same frustration you feel with creating a schedule that accommodates what you have to to and what you want to do! I am open to any suggestions on how to make journaling a boost to student writing and not a drain on teacher time!

Sillin Spotlights said...

I can sympathize with you on your time constraints. Maybe we can interject writing with the other classes and not try to "fit" writing in every day. I would like to see more of a natural flow, but It's hard with assessments and the pressures that be!
I'm planning on incorporating more short pieces of writing that we can combine as a class to produce for all to read - they may feel more ownership with this.

astambaugh said...

I agree with the timing. It seems like they have the perfect schedule, but how does it not effect the rest of the school if they feel the need to change times around. How can we change this to where we can have more writing time?